Written for Euphoria Wellness Spa by Jane Jopling
Do you ever ask why the price is so low? Probably not. Do you wonder why there is such a discrepancy in the price of spa services from one spa to the next? Price shopping, we all do it, it’s easy and accepted but you should be comparing more than just price when it comes to spa services. In this blog, I will talk about the questions you are not asking before you go to a spa. The questions people forget and/or don’t know to ask might surprise you.
There are many factors that go into the price of a service. Associate wages, overhead, laundry, products, payment processing, marketing, advertising and sterilization and sanitation all add up and are considered when pricing a service. A big variable in pricing is sterilization costs.
The gold standard in medical sterilization is the autoclave. The autoclave operates at high temperature and pressure in order to kill all microorganisms and spores. The autoclave machine itself is an investment as are the ongoing ph testing strips that ensure complete sterilization has occurred as well as equipment storage bags. Replacing non sterilizable equipment for every client is also very costly for a business. At Euphoria Wellness Spa, ALL of our professional tools are individually sterilized in the autoclave to ensure your safety.
Some spas cut costs in places customers can’t see. Businesses will avoid purchasing the proper equipment and opt for the lower form of cleaning referred to as sanitation. This might include a liquid implement soak or a UV light. While these are accepted in the industry they are not 100% effective. Businesses will reuse non sterilizable equipment like foot files, nail files, and buffers. There are risks in frequenting a business that skimps on sterilization:
- Increased risk of nail fungus
- Increased risk of hepatitis B
- Increased risk of cross contamination of bacterial infections
At Euphoria Wellness Spa, it is standard protocol to use a medical grade autoclave sterilizer for all implements that come into contact with a client. Implements are scrubbed free of debris with an antibacterial soap, placed in a sealed bag and then sterilized in the Autoclave. They stay in the sealed bag until opened in front of the client prior to treatment . This is the best protocol for clients and associates.
- Pedicure foot basins are non porous and pipless so there is no used water circulating between clients. The jets are air only.
- Sanitizing of the pedicure basins between clients.
- Estheticians wear gloves to prevent cross contamination.
- Treatment chairs beds and table are sanitized between clients.
- New waxing spatulas are used for every dip into the wax pot.
- Non sterizable implements go home with the client as proof they are not reused.
- Every fabric that comes into contact with a client is washed according to industry standards (blankets, towels, robes, slippers).
Euphoria Wellness Spa welcomes regular visits from the local health inspector who ensures we are meeting AND exceeding industry standards set for the Spa + Wellness industry.
So before your next manicure, pedicure or medical spa treatment, ask not why is the price so high, instead ask these questions:
- What type of sterilization system is used on implements to prevent cross contamination?
- Do your service providers wear gloves?
- What happens to implements that cannot be sterilized? (Hint, they should be given to the customer)
- How do you clean the pedicure foot basins?
By being completely informed you are better equipped to make a decision about where and why you make a choice on which spa you spend your money. As a customer at Euphoria Wellness Spa you can feel confident that sterilization standards are above industry standards.
With over 15 years of fitness industry experience, and 10 years as a Spa owner and Esthetician, Jane brings a passion for healthy living, education, and inspiration to Spa Euphoria Yoga + Fitness as the Wellness Coordinator.
A mother of two, who recently completed a B.Ed. in Adult Education, Jane completed her extensive Mat Certification at Pilate’s education leader Body Harmonics. As a healthy eating enthusiast, Jane studied nutrition and coaching at Precision Nutrition and is a Level 1 Nutrition Coach.
She writes to inspire people to a place of wellness through education.